Old 01-09-2013, 11:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Processionary caterpillar

I noticed a day or two ago that an oak sapling in my garden was looking
a bit threadbare. This morning I had a good look. The leaves at the top
had been eaten away and, round the trunk a little lower down, were a
couple of dozen caterpillars all huddled together. They were yellow and
black striped, rather like a wasp (which is what I thought they were at
a distance!) and about an inch and a half long.

My wife said that they were the processionary caterpillar but when I
googled for them all that came up was the pine processionary caterpillar
which seemed quite different in colour. Anyway we took the precaution of
not handling them (there are severe warnings about what their hairs can
do) and knocked them off into a shovel and put them on our bonfire.

I didn't think to take a photo of them before we destroyed them.

Can anyone shed any light on what these were?

David

--
David Rance writing from Le Mesnil Villement, Calvados, France
Old 01-09-2013, 11:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , David Rance
writes

I noticed a day or two ago that an oak sapling in my garden was looking
a bit threadbare. This morning I had a good look. The leaves at the top
had been eaten away and, round the trunk a little lower down, were a
couple of dozen caterpillars all huddled together. They were yellow and
black striped, rather like a wasp (which is what I thought they were at
distance!) and about an inch and a half long.

I googled for oak caterpillar and this came up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oak_Processionary

The only difference is that they are the wrong colour!

David

--
David Rance writing from Le Mesnil Villement, Calvados, France
Old 01-09-2013, 12:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Jake
writes

On Sun, 1 Sep 2013 11:26:41 +0100, David Rance
wrote:

I noticed a day or two ago that an oak sapling in my garden was looking
a bit threadbare. This morning I had a good look. The leaves at the top
had been eaten away and, round the trunk a little lower down, were a
couple of dozen caterpillars all huddled together. They were yellow and
black striped, rather like a wasp (which is what I thought they were at
a distance!) and about an inch and a half long.

My wife said that they were the processionary caterpillar but when I
googled for them all that came up was the pine processionary caterpillar
which seemed quite different in colour. Anyway we took the precaution of
not handling them (there are severe warnings about what their hairs can
do) and knocked them off into a shovel and put them on our bonfire.

I didn't think to take a photo of them before we destroyed them.

Try this link for info about the Oak Processionary Moth/Caterpillars.
Now's a bit late for their caterpillars I think.

http://www.forestry.gov.uk/oakprocessionarymoth

Thanks for that, Jake. I think that the photos of the processionary moth
show it to be much hairier than ours (I *do* wish now I'd taken a
photo!) and, yes, it does seem to be a bit late for it. But then it's
been a topsy-turvy summer. However the caterpillars commonly mistaken
for the processionary moth still didn't look quite like ours.

David

--
David Rance writing from Le Mesnil Villement, Calvados, France
Old 01-09-2013, 02:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Jake

wrote:

[...]

Any news of the big and beautiful caterpillar that was on your potato patch?
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 01-09-2013, 02:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Jake

wrote:

[...]

That was me, not the other David. I've haven't seen anything of it since.

--
David in Normandy.

Old 01-09-2013, 05:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-09-01 14:04:10 +0100, David in Normandy said:

On 01/09/2013 15:00, sacha wrote:
snip

That was me, not the other David. I've haven't seen anything of it since.

Sorry, David, I'm confusing you and myself!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 01-09-2013, 05:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Sacha
writes
On 2013-09-01 14:04:10 +0100, David in Normandy said:

On 01/09/2013 15:00, sacha wrote:
snip

That was me, not the other David. I've haven't seen anything of it since.

Sorry, David, I'm confusing you and myself!

It's because I'm David sometimes in Normandy, but he is always David in
Normandy! ;-)

David

--
David Rance writing from Le Mesnil Villement, Calvados, France
Old 01-09-2013, 05:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Sacha
writes
On 2013-09-01 14:04:10 +0100, David in Normandy said:

On 01/09/2013 15:00, sacha wrote:
snip
That was me, not the other David. I've haven't seen anything of it since.

Sorry, David, I'm confusing you and myself!

It's because I'm David sometimes in Normandy, but he is always David in
Normandy! ;-)

David

I excuse myself! ;-)
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

caterpillar - caterpillar.jpg (1/1) kayla Garden Photos 0 08-07-2007 05:30 PM
caterpillar - caterpillar.jpg (0/1) kayla Garden Photos 0 08-07-2007 05:30 PM
Caterpillar Id? Lilly Gardening 4 12-06-2003 05:32 AM
Bottle Garden caterpillar problem Alwyn Williams United Kingdom 0 28-04-2003 09:20 AM