Old 10-09-2013, 03:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Sterilizing Kilner jars

On 10/09/13 12:50, Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
Tom Gardner wrote:
On 10/09/13 12:09, Martin Brown wrote:
On 09/09/2013 10:38, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sun, 8 Sep 2013 20:41:55 +0100, Janet wrote:

I've no great experience of pressure cookers, My Mum didn't like 'em
so we never had one at home.

Sudden decreases in pressure are a very bad thing as flash boiling inside some thick goupy stew or soup inside one is a disaster!

OTOH, flashing water into steam *may* be a good way of disrupting
structures and possibly cells. Might be useful when turning
fish/meat/veg into stock.

Easily done by lifting up the weight - and watching the steam
spray 2ft horizontally from each of four holes. Good for startling
guests/kids

Mopping up the stock before use is a little fiddly :-)

At least I could easily and rapidly sterilise it in a
pressure cooker. Oh, wait...