Old 28-02-2003, 05:27 PM
jcart003

Default Seedling transplanting question

Try and brush the tops of any seedlings indoors several times a day,
it will help keep them stocky and helps toughen the stems for the
"real world". (just use your hand). This does work, and is actually
used commercially instead of growth regulators, with at least as good
results! The minor damage that occurs with movement of the plant stem
signals the plant to toughen the stem up.... good luck with the
lopes!!!

jammer wrote in message . ..
On Thu, 27 Feb 2003 23:59:04 -0600, "B & J"
wrote:

Don't plant most seedlings below their initial level into the soil. It isn't
necessary. Even planting tomatoes deeply isn't necessary, but if they are
too leggy, they do develop roots along the stem. Personally, I don't like
leggy tomatoes.

John

My tomato seeds sprouted and i am afraid they are gettng too tall too
soon. I will plant them down to the leaves, but it will be interesting
to see if i can keep them alive that long. My cantalope is up too.
Come on spring! (I'm not going to start that again. Last time i did,
we had the worse ice storm in YEARS)
jammer