Old 14-09-2013, 02:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David Hill David Hill is offline

Default Dahlia coccinea

On 2013-09-13 19:28:48 +0100, David Hill said:

On 13/09/2013 19:10, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Fri, 13 Sep 2013 16:18:34 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

David Hill - or any Dahlia afficionado, am I correct in thinking this
is Dahlia coccinea?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/9369440...n/photostream/

Apparently, the National Dahlia collection is held at Great Dixter. On
their web site they have this:
http://www.national-dahlia-collectio...at-dixter.html

which looks nothing like yours.

How confused can you be?
The national Dahlia Collection is held at Varfell Farm near Penzance.
http://www.national-dahlia-collectio...the-collection
Coccinea Great Dixter is one of 4 coccinea they list
David Hill

Thanks to you and to Chris. And just to top it off, I've read something
that says D. coccinea can vary wildly in colour! I was interested to
see that this one seemed to be closing at dusk, or showing signs of that
sort of behaviour. Otoh, it's not the 4' tall that some sources sayd
D. coccinea gets to. I like it very much because it's a simple flower
of a good, clear colour.

I have one D. Coccinea species that is standing at almost 9ft with a
couple of others at close to 8ft

Wow! Wildly variable then! The D. imperialis is coming up in the garden
but of course, it's never going to reach full height and/or flower now,
I would think. We thought it had given up altogether and suddenly
noticed it cowering amongst other stuff and now about 5' tall. I must
go out and see what last night's rain did to the Dahlias in the front of
the house. It was really lashing down at one point. Here's a pic taken
the night before - thank goodness!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/93694401@N03/9736964024/

Here are a couple of pics of the Coccinea I took before lunch first is
over 9ft tall
http://s240.photobucket.com/user/taf...71759.jpg.html
The 2nd, the yellow is now around 6ft tall
http://s240.photobucket.com/user/taf...ef421.jpg.html
With both the flowers are 2 to 3 inches accross.
I have 2 beds of dahlias from seed on trial
http://s240.photobucket.com/user/taf...cba42.jpg.html
A lot of interesting ones there
http://s240.photobucket.com/user/taf...5b79e.jpg.html
This shows the size of the flowers