Old 28-02-2003, 05:41 PM
Jerry Hoffmeister

Default Advice on fertilizer injectors

yup, if you don't keep the flow up, it doesn't work. I don't use it w/ my
mister for the hanging stuff - they just get fertilized when the potted
plants get it - straight water otherwise. I also tried one of those squeeze
on / off valves for my wand with it - no good, too much restriction. Also
tried a coil hose, same problem so there are some issues but in my situation
,works great!

"Ray @ First Rays Orchids" wrote in message
I used the Siphonex injector for years and was quite happy with it. As

long
as your water pressure is stable, the amount of back-pressure (resistance

flow) downstream is low and constant, you will get quite reliable

metering -
it is a law of physics.

However if, as I do for mounted plants, you ever water with a misting

head,
forget it. The pressure drop across the venturi in the injector will be
insufficient and the ration with change drastically - possibly all the way
to zero.

I don't know the $70 Charlies type (I pitch those catalogs when they come
in - they're too expensive and the stuff can usually be obtained easily
elsewhere), but anything that injects water into your concentrate tank is
bound to vary in concentration (that's a lot of the problem with the

Miracle
Grow-type hose end devices).

Considering the investment in the plants themselves, and the fact that

this
is a long-term obsession, spending several hundred dollars for a reliable,
accurate injector seems worthwhile. I have two - a Dosmatic and a
Dosatron - and they continue to work perfectly since being installed about
3-4 years ago.

--

Ray Barkalow First Rays Orchids
http://www.firstrays.com

"Jerry Hoffmeister" wrote in message
I'll be the lone dissenter - I bought a hozon syphoner and am quite

happy
with it. Has a fixed 16:1 ratio and 1 gallon of concentrate is perfect

for
my greenhouse / collection. It was definitely cheaper than both of

these -
maybe $20? The $70 one from Charley's does appear to be a bit on the

junky
side...

For my light table in the basement, I do the sump pump thing as Gene
mentioned - works quiet well as well and is again much less than $350

even
if u have to buy the pump, trash can, hose and attachments.

Oh and I did plumb both hot and cold water out to my greenhouse and put

laundry tub type faucet at the end.

All that said, I do have 100+ psi straight out of the tap, not sure how

well
the syphoners work with lower pressure. Had to get a regulator and drop

it
down to 40 psi or so for my fogger otherwise the float valve stayed

stuck
shut.

I'd only do the $350 thing if I had a large greenhouse or had extra $$

but
with extra $$, why not buy more plants?

Jerry

"Dave Lockwood" wrote in message
I humbly ask for advice. I just got a new paper catalog from

Charley's
Greenhouses. In it they list two fertilizer injectors (if you don't

count
the non-adjustable educter). Does anyone use these? One costs about

$70
and the other about $350. Is one really 5 times as good as the other?

What
do you use?
Thanks
Dave