Old 28-02-2003, 05:41 PM
Jerry Hoffmeister

Default Runts

I usually try to grow up the "runts" when I find them in the flask. Also,
not all the seed germinates right away so some of the runts may just be a
bit younger. Just depends on the plants and if I have "enough" with just
the bigger ones.

"Gene Schurg" wrote in message
news
Just reading the Paph sanderianum thread someone mentioned that it is
recommended that the runts in a flask should be thrown away.

When I grow garden plants I do this because the seed is cheap and I don't
care to find the special new petunia that happens to be the tiny plant.

If I were growing orchids from seed and wanted that new breakthrough plant
that was smaller, or a different color, or bloomed on a naturally smaller
plant, etc. could it be found among these runts?

What do some of you folks who grow from seed think about this?

Good Growing,
Gene