Old 02-10-2013, 09:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Boots

In article o.uk,
Dave Liquorice wrote:

As some one has already said if there are animals of sheep/goat size
or bigger get steel toe caps. Most animals aren't like humans when
they tread on some ones toe, they just tread on it full weight no let
up until they want to move that foot again. Short steel toe capped
wellies should be available or the builders "rigger boots". TBH I'd
be looking at knee length steel toe capped wellies, and a boiler
suit. Poo will splash or spread quite high when mucking out...

Well, I agree that their hooves are sharp, but that argues more for
solid material than steel toecaps. I agree that they are more
likely to slide off a steel toecap than an unreinforced boot, but
most people who deal with large livestock can shove a goat or
sheep off their foot. The same does not apply to horses and cattle!

What you really do NOT need is what many gyms and other places
demand, which is a flimsy 'solid' foot covering that offers no real
protection. The number of places that have told me that sandals
are unsafe but the flimsiest of canvas shoes is safe is legion :-(
And you can get Wellington boots that are little better ....

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.