Old 05-10-2013, 10:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Naturalisable bulbs

In article ,
Jeff Layman wrote:

Well, having made a mistake with Ornithogalum umbellatum, I would
like to compound it :-)

Basically, I am looking for other bulbs that might naturalise in
grass and flower immediately after the main spring ones. The obvious
candidates are bluebells, but I had to get rid of them on the grounds
of thuggery. I can find plenty that flower a bit later, together
with snake's head fritillaries, but not in the April slot.

I don't want ones with broad leaves because of the effects on the
grass - daffodils are just about tolerable, but tulips and Allium
ursinum would not be.

Any ideas?

Uvularia? Usually associated with woodland, but then so are bluebells.
Ipheon? Maybe too early?
Muscari? Avoid the invasive varieties.

Uvularia is worth a thought, but I am not sure when it dies down.
Ipheon is too early and I didn't think that Muscari like grass
(certainly mine don't).

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.