Old 05-10-2013, 04:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Naturalisable bulbs

Well, having made a mistake with Ornithogalum umbellatum, I would
like to compound it :-)

Basically, I am looking for other bulbs that might naturalise in
grass and flower immediately after the main spring ones. The obvious
candidates are bluebells, but I had to get rid of them on the grounds
of thuggery. I can find plenty that flower a bit later, together
with snake's head fritillaries, but not in the April slot.

I don't want ones with broad leaves because of the effects on the
grass - daffodils are just about tolerable, but tulips and Allium
ursinum would not be.

Any ideas?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 05-10-2013, 04:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-10-05 16:12:35 +0100, Nick Maclaren said:

Well, having made a mistake with Ornithogalum umbellatum, I would
like to compound it :-)

Basically, I am looking for other bulbs that might naturalise in
grass and flower immediately after the main spring ones. The obvious
candidates are bluebells, but I had to get rid of them on the grounds
of thuggery. I can find plenty that flower a bit later, together
with snake's head fritillaries, but not in the April slot.

I don't want ones with broad leaves because of the effects on the
grass - daffodils are just about tolerable, but tulips and Allium
ursinum would not be.

Any ideas?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Fritillaria any good? And are Leucojum too close in flowering to the
others for you?
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 05-10-2013, 05:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Sacha wrote:

Well, having made a mistake with Ornithogalum umbellatum, I would
like to compound it :-)

Basically, I am looking for other bulbs that might naturalise in
grass and flower immediately after the main spring ones. The obvious
candidates are bluebells, but I had to get rid of them on the grounds
of thuggery. I can find plenty that flower a bit later, together
with snake's head fritillaries, but not in the April slot.

I don't want ones with broad leaves because of the effects on the
grass - daffodils are just about tolerable, but tulips and Allium
ursinum would not be.

Any ideas?

Fritillaria any good? And are Leucojum too close in flowering to the
others for you?

Thanks.

I have lots of Fritillaria meleagris already, but don't know which
others could handle naturalising. F. imperialis did well, but has
faded away even in a border. Leucojum are possible, but are another
white.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 05-10-2013, 06:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Nick Maclaren" wrote
Sacha wrote:

[...]

Leucojum is a bit of a thug with me, the bulbs work themselves down to 9
inches or more and I find them difficult to get rid of once planted. The
leaves persist too for months and grow quite thickly. I have a pot full I
dug up if you want some. :-)
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 05-10-2013, 06:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Bob Hobden wrote:

Leucojum is a bit of a thug with me, the bulbs work themselves down to 9
inches or more and I find them difficult to get rid of once planted. The
leaves persist too for months and grow quite thickly. I have a pot full I
dug up if you want some. :-)

Thanks but no thanks :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 05-10-2013, 07:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Janet wrote:

Well, having made a mistake with Ornithogalum umbellatum, I would
like to compound it :-)

Basically, I am looking for other bulbs that might naturalise in
grass and flower immediately after the main spring ones. The obvious
candidates are bluebells, but I had to get rid of them on the grounds
of thuggery. I can find plenty that flower a bit later, together
with snake's head fritillaries, but not in the April slot.

I don't want ones with broad leaves because of the effects on the
grass - daffodils are just about tolerable, but tulips and Allium
ursinum would not be.

Have you thought of the camassias, and native grassland orchids?
Both naturalise well IME .

Camassias, yes - I have cusickii, and it has spread well. It might
be worth moving some of it.

Orchids, no. I wonder which would do here? They are all critically
dependent on the right mycorrhiza being present. I will think on
that.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 05-10-2013, 08:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 05/10/2013 16:12, Nick Maclaren wrote:
Well, having made a mistake with Ornithogalum umbellatum, I would
like to compound it :-)

Basically, I am looking for other bulbs that might naturalise in
grass and flower immediately after the main spring ones. The obvious
candidates are bluebells, but I had to get rid of them on the grounds
of thuggery. I can find plenty that flower a bit later, together
with snake's head fritillaries, but not in the April slot.

I don't want ones with broad leaves because of the effects on the
grass - daffodils are just about tolerable, but tulips and Allium
ursinum would not be.

Any ideas?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Uvularia? Usually associated with woodland, but then so are bluebells.
Ipheon? Maybe too early?
Muscari? Avoid the invasive varieties.

--

Jeff
Old 05-10-2013, 10:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Jeff Layman wrote:

Well, having made a mistake with Ornithogalum umbellatum, I would
like to compound it :-)

Basically, I am looking for other bulbs that might naturalise in
grass and flower immediately after the main spring ones. The obvious
candidates are bluebells, but I had to get rid of them on the grounds
of thuggery. I can find plenty that flower a bit later, together
with snake's head fritillaries, but not in the April slot.

I don't want ones with broad leaves because of the effects on the
grass - daffodils are just about tolerable, but tulips and Allium
ursinum would not be.

Any ideas?

Uvularia? Usually associated with woodland, but then so are bluebells.
Ipheon? Maybe too early?
Muscari? Avoid the invasive varieties.

Uvularia is worth a thought, but I am not sure when it dies down.
Ipheon is too early and I didn't think that Muscari like grass
(certainly mine don't).

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

bulbs lois Lawns 3 05-05-2003 10:58 PM
Spring Bulbs Greg Gardening 2 04-02-2003 02:48 AM
an ad I saw for multiple packs Flower Bulbs, Strawberrys, hanging baskets j Ponds (alternative) 1 30-01-2003 05:21 AM
SPAM ALERT an ad I saw for multiple packs Flower Bulbs, Strawberrys, hanging baskets animaux Gardening 0 30-01-2003 02:52 AM
an ad I saw for multiple packs Flower Bulbs, Strawberrys, hanging baskets j Gardening 0 29-01-2003 09:55 PM