Old 09-10-2013, 08:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Extreme vegetables

I am interested in any experiences with any of these, and other
extreme vegetables not mentioned that are worth a go.

Not oca or Chinese artichokes - both good, but too much hassle
for the food value.

Nor arrowroot - easy to grow, but lacks the flavour of cotton wool.

Rampion. I have never got it to germinate.

Skirret. I didn't get it to germinate - is it worth the effort?

Yacon. That looks interesting.

Dahlias. The only write-ups I have seen are on the sort of Web
page that raves over foods like chickweed (my summary: a pleasant
enough fibrous salad filler with no particular taste).

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.