Old 09-10-2013, 08:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Extreme vegetables

I am interested in any experiences with any of these, and other
extreme vegetables not mentioned that are worth a go.

Not oca or Chinese artichokes - both good, but too much hassle
for the food value.

Nor arrowroot - easy to grow, but lacks the flavour of cotton wool.

Rampion. I have never got it to germinate.

Skirret. I didn't get it to germinate - is it worth the effort?

Yacon. That looks interesting.

Dahlias. The only write-ups I have seen are on the sort of Web
page that raves over foods like chickweed (my summary: a pleasant
enough fibrous salad filler with no particular taste).

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 09-10-2013, 09:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

I am interested in any experiences with any of these, and other
extreme vegetables not mentioned that are worth a go.

I got some purple potatos at Asda, cheap. I guess most won't to buy them.
Not only is their skin purple, but so is the flesh. They are perfectly fine
but if they have to sell them cheaply I might not see them again.

Purple Majesty. Yes, is kind of strange to have a purple potato but I
loved it.
Tweed

Old 09-10-2013, 09:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Christina Websell wrote:

I am interested in any experiences with any of these, and other
extreme vegetables not mentioned that are worth a go.

I got some purple potatos at Asda, cheap. I guess most won't to buy them.
Not only is their skin purple, but so is the flesh. They are perfectly fine
but if they have to sell them cheaply I might not see them again.

Purple Majesty. Yes, is kind of strange to have a purple potato but I
loved it.

I can't grow potatoes - spraing, golden eelworm and white eelworm.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 09-10-2013, 11:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Nick Maclaren" wrote
I can't grow potatoes - spraing, golden eelworm and white eelworm.

There are a number of potato varieties that are resistant to all of those.

Lady Cristl (FE)
Premiere (FE)
Fianna (MC)
Lady Rosetta (MC)
Slaney (MC)

Although it depends if you want to eat any of them. :-)

--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 10-10-2013, 08:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 09/10/2013 20:59, Nick Maclaren wrote:
I am interested in any experiences with any of these, and other
extreme vegetables not mentioned that are worth a go.

Not oca or Chinese artichokes - both good, but too much hassle
for the food value.

Nor arrowroot - easy to grow, but lacks the flavour of cotton wool.

Rampion. I have never got it to germinate.

Skirret. I didn't get it to germinate - is it worth the effort?

Yacon. That looks interesting.

Dahlias. The only write-ups I have seen are on the sort of Web
page that raves over foods like chickweed (my summary: a pleasant
enough fibrous salad filler with no particular taste).

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Malabar spinach. It was meant to be red (Basella rubra), but turned out
all green (Basella alba). So not even ornamental, and not much taste,
either. I think this comment I found on the internet sums up its
culinary potential quite well "We are going to plant again mostly for
our goats and as a privacy fence."

--

Jeff

Old 10-10-2013, 09:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Jeff Layman wrote:

[...]

Nice one! Yes, there are a lot of spinach substitutes that are very
good when the alternative is nothing :-)

I forgot to mention cardoon - we called it repulsant snozzcumber,
because it was a bitter as gall even after blanching.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 10-10-2013, 09:14 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Bob Hobden wrote:

I can't grow potatoes - spraing, golden eelworm and white eelworm.

There are a number of potato varieties that are resistant to all of those.

Lady Cristl (FE)
Premiere (FE)
Fianna (MC)
Lady Rosetta (MC)
Slaney (MC)

Although it depends if you want to eat any of them. :-)

Precisely.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 10-10-2013, 10:17 AM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Maclaren[_3_] View Post
I am interested in any experiences with any of these, and other
extreme vegetables not mentioned that are worth a go.
I've found achocha easy, but you need to get it going well indoors and plant out, which is amusing as it is a rampant climber. It does self-seed but germinates too late out of doors to get into fruit.
Vegetable Seed : Cucumbers, gherkins and a few other oddities
Old 10-10-2013, 11:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 9 Oct 2013 21:34:31 +0100, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

I am interested in any experiences with any of these, and other
extreme vegetables not mentioned that are worth a go.

I got some purple potatos at Asda, cheap. I guess most won't to buy them.
Not only is their skin purple, but so is the flesh. They are perfectly fine
but if they have to sell them cheaply I might not see them again.

Purple Majesty. Yes, is kind of strange to have a purple potato but I
loved it.
Tweed

We had some and they were just like normal spuds but purple. Got a pic
of purple mash somewhere.
--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk

Old 10-10-2013, 11:14 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
mogga wrote:

I am interested in any experiences with any of these, and other
extreme vegetables not mentioned that are worth a go.

Not oca or Chinese artichokes - both good, but too much hassle
for the food value.

Nor arrowroot - easy to grow, but lacks the flavour of cotton wool.

Rampion. I have never got it to germinate.

Skirret. I didn't get it to germinate - is it worth the effort?

Where did you get the seeds from? I was tempted to get some this year
but didn't in the end as I got sent a T&M voucher and got everything I
needed from there.

Probably Chiltern. Pennard plants also say they have it.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 10-10-2013, 11:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

I am interested in any experiences with any of these, and other
extreme vegetables not mentioned that are worth a go.

I got some purple potatos at Asda, cheap. I guess most won't to buy them.
Not only is their skin purple, but so is the flesh. They are perfectly fine
but if they have to sell them cheaply I might not see them again.

Purple Majesty. Yes, is kind of strange to have a purple potato but I
loved it.
Tweed

We had some and they were just like normal spuds but purple. Got a pic
of purple mash somewhere.

Yes, the purple mash makes interesting Shepherds or Cottage pie. Also,
as roast spuds they are pretty tasty and quite decorative.

The only real issue I have with them is that it is basically impossible
to see if they have been hit by blight or are otherwise damaged. A deep
indigo colour is pretty good at masking the sort of dark grey you get
with sick spuds.

--

Jeff
Old 10-10-2013, 04:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
echinosum wrote:

I am interested in any experiences with any of these, and
other
extreme vegetables not mentioned that are worth a go.

I've found achocha easy, but you need to get it going well indoors and
plant out, which is amusing as it is a rampant climber. It does
self-seed but germinates too late out of doors to get into fruit.
'Vegetable Seed : Cucumbers, gherkins and a few other oddities'
(http://tinyurl.com/4y7sm6y)

Thanks very much. It looks amusing, but next year may be a bit
tricky, as I shall be away during some of April.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 10-10-2013, 05:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thursday, October 10, 2013 9:14:35 AM UTC+1, Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,

Bob Hobden wrote:

I can't grow potatoes - spraing, golden eelworm and white eelworm.

There are a number of potato varieties that are resistant to all of those.

Lady Cristl (FE)

Premiere (FE)

Fianna (MC)

Lady Rosetta (MC)

Slaney (MC)

Although it depends if you want to eat any of them. :-)

Precisely.

Regards,

Nick Maclaren.

I grow Lady Christl every year and find it very good!

Janet G