Old 10-10-2013, 08:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Extreme vegetables

On 09/10/2013 20:59, Nick Maclaren wrote:
I am interested in any experiences with any of these, and other
extreme vegetables not mentioned that are worth a go.

Not oca or Chinese artichokes - both good, but too much hassle
for the food value.

Nor arrowroot - easy to grow, but lacks the flavour of cotton wool.

Rampion. I have never got it to germinate.

Skirret. I didn't get it to germinate - is it worth the effort?

Yacon. That looks interesting.

Dahlias. The only write-ups I have seen are on the sort of Web
page that raves over foods like chickweed (my summary: a pleasant
enough fibrous salad filler with no particular taste).

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Malabar spinach. It was meant to be red (Basella rubra), but turned out
all green (Basella alba). So not even ornamental, and not much taste,
either. I think this comment I found on the internet sums up its
culinary potential quite well "We are going to plant again mostly for
our goats and as a privacy fence."

--

Jeff