Old 11-10-2013, 01:38 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default ...and the heavens opened...

On 10/9/2013 4:12 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:

Rain, in So. Calif, Oct 9??? Surprise. Supposed to start, IF it
ever comes, somewhere in November.

Or did I do it: washing the car and patio and watering the garden
(too long; I buy a damn timer and always forget to set it! Water VERY
expensive here.)

The seasons that used to be rock-solid steady have shifted over the
last 2-3 years. Food plants that used to be sowed or transplanted at
X season are not doing well. I may just throw it in next year...but
I always say that...

But of course global warming is unproven, say the whore scientists
hired by the industries that don't want to be forced to curb their
carbon emissions. Their well-paid flacks do a great job sowing doubt
in the minds of the 99% of the public that don't know how or don't
want to be bothered reading the readily-accessible research.

Apes moi, le deluge...

HB

Malibu 0.11 inches
Beverly Hills 0.03
USC 0.04
CHE 0.03 (my local weather station, about 2 miles north of
US 101 and just east of Oak Park)
I can't find a weather station in Santa Monica that records and archives
precipitation. In most parts of southern California, too little rain
fell to hold down dust let alone end the danger of brush fires.

As for climate change, we should stop arguing about why it is happening.
It is happening. Ask the almond growers in the California Central
Valley, who are experiencing crop declines because of insufficient
winter chill for their trees. Ask the Canadian government, which is
trying to assert control over the North-West Passage now that commercial
shipping is possible through the Artic Ocean. Ask the city of San
Francisco and surrounding cities, which are concerned about their water
supply as the Maclure and Lyell Glaciers (feeding the Hetch Hetchy
Reservoir) retreat. We should concern ourselves with preparing for the
results of climate change and with preventing it from becoming worse.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see