Old 11-10-2013, 04:48 AM posted to rec.gardens
Higgs Boson Higgs Boson is offline

Default ...and the heavens opened...

On Thursday, October 10, 2013 5:38:12 PM UTC-7, David E. Ross wrote:
On 10/9/2013 4:12 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:

Rain, in So. Calif, Oct 9??? Surprise. Supposed to start, IF it

ever comes, somewhere in November.

Or did I do it: washing the car and patio and watering the garden

(too long; I buy a damn timer and always forget to set it! Water VERY

expensive here.)

The seasons that used to be rock-solid steady have shifted over the

last 2-3 years. Food plants that used to be sowed or transplanted at

X season are not doing well. I may just throw it in next year...but

I always say that...

But of course global warming is unproven, say the whore scientists

hired by the industries that don't want to be forced to curb their

carbon emissions. Their well-paid flacks do a great job sowing doubt

in the minds of the 99% of the public that don't know how or don't

want to be bothered reading the readily-accessible research.

Apes moi, le deluge...

HB

Malibu 0.11 inches

Beverly Hills 0.03

USC 0.04

CHE 0.03 (my local weather station, about 2 miles north of

US 101 and just east of Oak Park)

I can't find a weather station in Santa Monica that records and archives

precipitation. In most parts of southern California, too little rain

fell to hold down dust let alone end the danger of brush fires.

It was just a nice little morning rain that made my plants very happy. What surprised me was that it was so early. Given the desert we live in, I'll take whatever Mother Nature dishes out, rain-wise!

As for climate change, we should stop arguing about why it is happening.

It is happening. Ask the almond growers in the California Central

Valley, who are experiencing crop declines because of insufficient

winter chill for their trees. Ask the Canadian government, which is

trying to assert control over the North-West Passage now that commercial

shipping is possible through the Artic Ocean. Ask the city of San

Francisco and surrounding cities, which are concerned about their water

supply as the Maclure and Lyell Glaciers (feeding the Hetch Hetchy

Reservoir) retreat. We should concern ourselves with preparing for the

results of climate change and with preventing it from becoming worse.

If it's not too late.

Alas, there is still a sizeable contingent -- maybe a majority -- of "Franks" among us, who see what they want to see, or what they have been brainwashed into seeing. The old Determination Bias again.

BTW, I must offer a public apology to sex workers for comparing Members of Congress and hired "scientists" to them. The sex workers actually deliver value for payment, whereas the other crowd only lines their pockets at the expense of ourselves and our posterity (and theirs!)

HB