Old 14-10-2013, 10:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_11_] Sacha[_11_] is offline

Default Cyclamen photo

On 2013-10-11 19:33:29 +0100, David Hill said:

On 11/10/2013 16:46, Spider wrote:
On 09/10/2013 16:33, Sacha wrote:
Sorry! Forgot to attach the photo link
http://www.flickr.com/photos/9369440...n/photostream/

Hi Sacha,

I thought it was Cyclamen persica (of which there are many), but having
looked at the photostream on the link below I became delerious with
Cyclamenitis, and am now not so sure.

I found the site by googling for cyclamen national collections. The
collection associated with this link is in Devon, so fairly local to
you. You could do worse than to send your pic to them.

Click and enjoy ...

https://sites.google.com/site/cherubeergardens/cyclamen

I always thought that speckling on cyclamen flowers was caused by
Botritus trying to get a hold on flowers that were damp for a short
period of time.
I did wonder about something like thrip, but that would have given
distortion of the flowers, and they are fine.
You could always pollinate a couple of the most speckled flowers and
see what you get from seed raised plants.
David @ a cool but dry side of Swansea Bay

I heard back from the very helpful Jo Hynes who says she thinks it's C.
persicum, which can be scented but that the damage is probably aphids.
She thinks botrytis would have induced general rotting off, which hasn't
happened. This one plants is now in our house, so I'm waiting to see
what the buds produce!

If botrytus was left to develop then it would give rise to general rot,
but sometimes you can get it just starting then the plant drying up and
the botrytus dying off, in tomatoes this gives rise to ghost spotting
http://visualsunlimited.photoshelter...000UHmosSkQAzw
David

Thanks, David. This is interesting and the reason I read about spotted
cyclamen but couldn't find a name is now obvious!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com