Old 16-10-2013, 01:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Stephen Wolstenholme[_3_] Stephen Wolstenholme[_3_] is offline

Default Old seeds

On Wed, 16 Oct 2013 09:24:15 +0100 (BST),
(Nick Maclaren) wrote:

In article ,
Chris Hogg wrote:
On Tue, 15 Oct 2013 20:51:26 +0100, David Hill
wrote:

This mat be of interest to those who throw out old seeds
http://www.treehugger.com/natural-sc...stockpile.html

Very interesting. See also
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judean_date_palm

Makes you wonder if the Svalbard seed bank on Spitsbergen is in the
right place!

Dates are exceptional plants, and both they and their seeds are
extremely drought and heat resistant.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

I grew a date tree from a stone in a pot. It needed a tiny bit a water
when I remembered! It lasted about 10 years but got too big to keep
indoors. Then it lived outside until we had a bad winter. It was a bit
of a hazard because the leaves are sharp.

Steve