Old 15-10-2013, 08:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Old seeds

This mat be of interest to those who throw out old seeds
http://www.treehugger.com/natural-sc...stockpile.html
Old 16-10-2013, 09:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Chris Hogg wrote:
On Tue, 15 Oct 2013 20:51:26 +0100, David Hill
wrote:

This mat be of interest to those who throw out old seeds
http://www.treehugger.com/natural-sc...stockpile.html

Very interesting. See also
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judean_date_palm

Makes you wonder if the Svalbard seed bank on Spitsbergen is in the
right place!

Dates are exceptional plants, and both they and their seeds are
extremely drought and heat resistant.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 16-10-2013, 11:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 16/10/2013 11:04, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Wed, 16 Oct 2013 09:24:15 +0100 (BST),
(Nick Maclaren) wrote:

wrote:

This mat be of interest to those who throw out old seeds
http://www.treehugger.com/natural-sc...stockpile.html

Very interesting. See also
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judean_date_palm

Makes you wonder if the Svalbard seed bank on Spitsbergen is in the
right place!

Dates are exceptional plants, and both they and their seeds are
extremely drought and heat resistant.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

I did wonder afterwards, if the palm became extinct in 150AD, how do
they know that these seeds are of that species? I don't really doubt
that they do know, they have ways and means after all, perhaps via DNA
from archeological plant remains, and/or determining that it's not
like any species known today, but it's still an interesting question,
as is why it went extinct in the first place, being apparently a
widely grown and commercially valued plant.

Actually 500AD but still a long time ago.
In those days I doubt they grew a range of different varieties, if you
had one that worked in your area then "if it aint broke don't fix it".
Then if the invading armies destroyed all the tree then that was it,
though why they couldn't grow again from date stones I don't know.
Probably easier and quicker to bring in new plants .

Old 16-10-2013, 11:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
David Hill wrote:
[...]

I wouldn't trust what either that article or Wikipedia says too far.
Remember that, in modern Israel, history is regarded as a political
tool, and the Zionists are among the more extreme revisionists active
today. While there is no doubt that the Romans did destroy the palms
in Palestine as a matter of policy, it is implausible that they were
responsible for the disappearance of the variety. Inter alia, Rome
all but collapsed round about 400 AD and Palestine was ruled from
Byzantium (later Constantinople, later Istanbul).

It is far more likely that the local farmers replanted (when they did)
with other varieties.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 16-10-2013, 01:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 16 Oct 2013 09:24:15 +0100 (BST),
(Nick Maclaren) wrote:

wrote:

This mat be of interest to those who throw out old seeds
http://www.treehugger.com/natural-sc...stockpile.html

Very interesting. See also
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judean_date_palm

Makes you wonder if the Svalbard seed bank on Spitsbergen is in the
right place!

Dates are exceptional plants, and both they and their seeds are
extremely drought and heat resistant.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

I grew a date tree from a stone in a pot. It needed a tiny bit a water
when I remembered! It lasted about 10 years but got too big to keep
indoors. Then it lived outside until we had a bad winter. It was a bit
of a hazard because the leaves are sharp.

Steve

Old 16-10-2013, 01:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Chris Hogg wrote:
On Wed, 16 Oct 2013 11:23:49 +0100, David Hill
wrote:

I did wonder afterwards, if the palm became extinct in 150AD,

Actually 500AD but still a long time ago.

Wiki says 150AD, but as NM says, neither source is necessarily that
reliable, and how does anyone know, precisely.

Actually, Wikipedia says both, and National Geographic also says
500 AD. A quick search of the citations indices I have access to
got no hits, but I suspect that is more a defect of their interface
than a failure and I would have to put more work in.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Seeds, Seeds, Seeds Kimberly Edible Gardening 8 03-01-2007 05:37 PM
[IBC] For old, Old, OLD members ;-) Bill Neff Bonsai 3 18-05-2005 04:28 AM
[IBC] For old, Old, OLD members ;-) Jim Lewis Bonsai 1 17-05-2005 09:14 PM
Old Trees and old news P van Rijckevorsel Plant Science 0 17-12-2003 04:04 PM
Planting a 3 week old tank and propagating a 2 year old sword rhizome McCord Tech Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 12-09-2003 10:22 AM