Old 19-10-2013, 01:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Baz[_3_] Baz[_3_] is offline

Default Potatoes will not cook properly.

sacha wrote in
:

On 2013-10-18 15:58:37 +0000, Baz said:

My main maincrop, Maris Piper will remain hard no matter how long I
boil them.
I have some other varieties that are OK. but I have loads of Maris
Piper. I don't suppose there is anything I can do about it. It is
going to be a huge waste.

Some people on the allotment are going to store theirs hoping that a
bit of coolness or whatever might sort it.

Should I write them off? Or store them in the unlikely event that
this would fix them.

Cheers
Baz

Cook them a different way? Cut into thickish slices and put in a
casserole with e.g. chicken pieces & onions, garlic etc?

Yes, Sacha. That works.
I tried 2 ways, oven and slow cooker, the slow cooker worked but only after
10 hours, thats fine with me. The oven method was on for over 2 hours and
still hard as nails.
Snag is that when I dig all of them I will have 2 or 3 X 25kg sacks of
them. Thats alot of slow cooking time.
The good thing is that they are not going to mushy in the casserole. as
happens with "normal" potatoes. I always like my casserole the next day,
when it has had time to "mature". Thicken up a bit.

Thanks for that info, Sacha

Baz