Old 22-10-2013, 06:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Another new ID requested

In article ,
David Rance wrote:

I wonder if anyone can identify this strange excrescence at the base of
a rose bush. It's growing on some stems that were cut down some months
ago. When it is touched with a twig it seems to dissolve.

http://www.mesnil.demon.co.uk/DSC_0853.jpg

Never seen anything like it before! Thanks in advance.

Slime mould - try a searc on 'uk slime mould white'.

Thanks, Nick. My wife has removed it but is wondering if it's likely to
kill off the plants around it.

Nah. This is the second hit:

http://apps.rhs.org.uk/AdviceSearch/...e.aspx?PID=246

Regards,