Old 22-10-2013, 05:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Another new ID requested

I wonder if anyone can identify this strange excrescence at the base of
a rose bush. It's growing on some stems that were cut down some months
ago. When it is touched with a twig it seems to dissolve.

http://www.mesnil.demon.co.uk/DSC_0853.jpg

Never seen anything like it before! Thanks in advance.

David

--
David Rance writing from Le Mesnil Villement, Calvados, France
Old 22-10-2013, 05:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
David Rance wrote:
I wonder if anyone can identify this strange excrescence at the base of
a rose bush. It's growing on some stems that were cut down some months
ago. When it is touched with a twig it seems to dissolve.

http://www.mesnil.demon.co.uk/DSC_0853.jpg

Never seen anything like it before! Thanks in advance.

Slime mould - try a searc on 'uk slime mould white'.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 22-10-2013, 05:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 22/10/2013 17:10, David Rance wrote:
I wonder if anyone can identify this strange excrescence at the base of
a rose bush. It's growing on some stems that were cut down some months
ago. When it is touched with a twig it seems to dissolve.

http://www.mesnil.demon.co.uk/DSC_0853.jpg

Never seen anything like it before! Thanks in advance.

David

Wondered if Baz was putting out his liquidised spuds to dry.
Old 22-10-2013, 06:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Nick Maclaren
writes

In article ,
David Rance wrote:

I wonder if anyone can identify this strange excrescence at the base of
a rose bush. It's growing on some stems that were cut down some months
ago. When it is touched with a twig it seems to dissolve.

http://www.mesnil.demon.co.uk/DSC_0853.jpg

Never seen anything like it before! Thanks in advance.

Slime mould - try a searc on 'uk slime mould white'.

Thanks, Nick. My wife has removed it but is wondering if it's likely to
kill off the plants around it.

David

--
David Rance writing from Le Mesnil Villement, Calvados, France
Old 22-10-2013, 06:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
David Rance wrote:

I wonder if anyone can identify this strange excrescence at the base of
a rose bush. It's growing on some stems that were cut down some months
ago. When it is touched with a twig it seems to dissolve.

http://www.mesnil.demon.co.uk/DSC_0853.jpg

Never seen anything like it before! Thanks in advance.

Slime mould - try a searc on 'uk slime mould white'.

Thanks, Nick. My wife has removed it but is wondering if it's likely to
kill off the plants around it.

Nah. This is the second hit:

http://apps.rhs.org.uk/AdviceSearch/...e.aspx?PID=246

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Patio Garden, Cat Friendly help requested Bill Gates Gardening 6 17-03-2011 05:05 PM
ID requested for another Solanaceae [email protected] Plant Science 3 05-11-2007 06:04 AM
Big old ivy patch, physical removal methods requested MAG Gardening 7 30-03-2003 11:56 PM
Hornwort Info Requested LeilaniR Ponds 4 14-03-2003 12:20 AM
recomendations requested Doug Sheely Freshwater Aquaria Plants 20 27-02-2003 07:42 AM