Old 25-10-2013, 05:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Trehane camellias (ping Sacha)

On 2013-10-25 10:15:44 +0100, Jeff Layman said:

I made a mistake about the other camellia - I just checked what we had
bought. We looked at "Crimson King", but eventually decided on C.
hiemalis "Bonanza", as the double flower had a little more going for
it. Now all I've got to do is find a suitable "hot spot" in the
garden for them!

I don't know Bonanza so I looked it up - what a beauty! My ex pa in law
grew Clematis up and through some of his Camellias and as long as it's
not a variety that's too thuggish, it looks spectacular and adds
interest once the Camellia has stopped flowering. He liked Camellias a
lot but there's a danger of people in Devon & Cornwall getting
over-Camelliaed! I've always wanted to copy his Camellia Walk though
which looks spectacular when in flower - sadly it takes rather more
space than we have and it is definitely made more interesting by being
on a very steep slope, imo. Unfortunately this pic was taken in
November so little was happening then. But at the very bottom, Istr he
had Clematis Madame le Coultre growing through one of the shrubs but
that's the only one I can remember now.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/93694401@N03/10473017854/

Impressive! Must look superb when in flower. But what else would you
expect on Jersey?
I wonder if Clematis alpina would look good through growing through
C.hiemalis "Bonanza"?

--

Jeff