Old 26-10-2013, 04:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Baz[_3_] Baz[_3_] is offline

Default Black or othe colour plastic to cover ground

"David.WE.Roberts" wrote in
:

I'm going to try a deliberate (rather than involuntary) no dig policy
this winter on the allotment.

I need some opaque plastic sheets to cover the ground.

I do have some black and some blue DPC membrane for putting in
foundations.

I think that black DPC membrane would be better because it lets no light in
and helps warm up the ground. I don't know the science of it, but black
absorbs light, or is it heat? Or both?
I have seen many allotmenteers us it on parts that have weeds, and I am
going to do the same next week for my next years potato plot after a layer
of rotted manure has been laid on the top of the soil.

Will this be O.K. or do I need something gardening specific?

One snag is that your soil is going to be on the dry side when you lift the
covers off. Would it be a good idea to water first? I don't know. I am
going to suck it and see. (no pun)

Equally, if I don't have enough then this plastic is cheap as chips
from Builders Merchants.

Correct. Builders Merchants are one of the gardeners best friend,
financialy.

Cheers

Dave R

We should compare notes next spring, Dave.

Best wishes
Baz