Old 27-10-2013, 02:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David Hill David Hill is offline

Default Black or othe colour plastic to cover ground

On 27/10/2013 11:25, David.WE.Roberts wrote:
On Sat, 26 Oct 2013 15:28:55 +0000, Baz wrote:

"David.WE.Roberts" wrote in
:

I'm going to try a deliberate (rather than involuntary) no dig policy
this winter on the allotment.

I need some opaque plastic sheets to cover the ground.

I do have some black and some blue DPC membrane for putting in
foundations.

I think that black DPC membrane would be better because it lets no light
in and helps warm up the ground. I don't know the science of it, but
black absorbs light, or is it heat? Or both?
I have seen many allotmenteers us it on parts that have weeds, and I am
going to do the same next week for my next years potato plot after a
layer of rotted manure has been laid on the top of the soil.

Will this be O.K. or do I need something gardening specific?

One snag is that your soil is going to be on the dry side when you lift
the covers off. Would it be a good idea to water first? I don't know. I
am going to suck it and see. (no pun)

snip

Have you seen the forecast? :-(

Not much point in watering a swamp, IMHO.

Good general point, though :-)

Cheers

Dave R

If you cut the polythene into bed sized strips then there should be
enough migration of the water from the sides If you cover the whole plot
with one sheet then I'd put something under it to raise it a few inches
every 6ft , weigh it down between and use a garden fork to make holes
through it to let the water through. If you have the whole plot covered,
who is going to get all your run off? will they be happy with that?
David @ a blustery side of Swansea Bay
They're surfing in this part of the world as well
http://www.gowerlive.co.uk/webcams/langland-webcam