Old 27-10-2013, 05:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default The approaching menace

On 27/10/13 16:21, Christina Websell wrote:
"Pam Moore" wrote in message
Good luck riding the storm guys.
Hope there are no calamities where you are.
The title of the Mastermind theme-tune seems appropriate.

Pam in Bristol

I've done as much as I can to batten down the hatches. Last time there were
winds of this predicted force I had a tree down in my garden.
The wind has been strengthening all day, I thought it would so I put my
washing machine on overnight, pegged the clothes out this a.m. and have got
all them all dry :-)

I'm expecting some damage if it materialises, let's hope it won't be as bad
as forecast.

Stay safe, folks

I suspect the Met Office is suffering from a phobia of "another Michael
Fish moment", or is trying to get politicians to realise that we do need
to continue funding them. For most places it isn't going to be anywhere
near as bad as they were thinking it /might possibly/ be a few days ago.
South coast will get it in the neck though.

Have a look at
http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/cgi-bin/expertcharts?LANG=en&MENU=0000000000&CONT=ukuk&MOD ELL=gfs&MODELLTYP=1&BASE=-&VAR=uv10&HH=0&ARCHIV=0&ZOOM=0&PERIOD=&WMO=
- select "surface wind" or "preciptation"
- select the time for which you want to see a forecast

And if you really want to have "fun", change the
"Base Su 12,GMT" to "Base Th 12,GMT", to see what
they were predicting last Thursday.