Old 31-10-2013, 06:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Janet is offline

Default After the storm

In article , says...

"David Hill" wrote ((Big Snip))

A couple of the Jersey lilies salvaged from the old glasshouse are in
flower
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...pscd54b4c3.jpg

There is a garden near us that is totally pink Nerines around all sides of
the grass. Just coming into full flower now, it is a picture. They must have
thousands of pounds worth judging by the price I've seen bulbs for in the
shops. Ours got eaten by slugs/snails this year!

Reminds me of a garden in the next village where there was a run down
empty house with a concreted-over garden, containing a raised concrete
bed. The only thing that grew in it was nerines, and it was packed,
giving great pleasure to passers by every autumn. Some years back the
house got done up and in the process they got rid of all the concrete
and raised bed. The garden is gravel now. I've often wondered what
became of those nerine bulbs, have a horrible feeling they got dumped
as landfill with the rest of the building rubbish :-(

Janet.