Old 04-11-2013, 11:14 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David Rance[_3_] David Rance[_3_] is offline

Default Hops

On Mon, 4 Nov 2013 David.WE.Roberts wrote:

On Sat, 02 Nov 2013 13:29:37 +1100, Farm1 wrote:

I've been told that hops will twine in different directions as they
climb upwards according to which hemispehere in which they grow.

I'm in the Southern Hemisphere and my hops twine clockwise around
supports.
Every single one of my stems is growing clockwise with not one counter
clockwise grower.

Has anyone in the Northern Hemisphere noticed which way hops twine where
they live?

http://members.optusnet.com.au/penny...FlandersSwann/
DropOfaHat/At%20the%20Drop%20of%20a%20Hat10.html

The fragrant honeysuckle spirals clockwise to the sun,
And many other creepers do the same.
But some climb anti-clockwise, the bindweed does, for one,
Or Convolvulus, to give her proper name.

snip

Said the right-hand-thread honeysuckle to the left-hand-thread bindweed,
"It seems they're against us, all fate has combined.
Oh my darling, oh my darling, oh my darling Colombine,
Thou art lost and gone forever, we shall never intertwine".

Ah, memories :-)

I can't remember all of the verse, but the one I liked was if they
should marry and their off-spring wouldn't know which way to go:

"Left, right, what a disgrace, or it may go straight up and fall flat on
its face!"

David