Old 06-11-2013, 05:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bill Grey Bill Grey is offline

Default Fig problem

"kay" wrote in message

sacha;994389 Wrote:

We have a fig tree in the field which has loads of fruit on it which
has never got to edible size this year and Ray has had one fruit from
it. He doubts they'll go through the winter to ripen in the
spring/summer of next year and suspects our cold spring has affected
our tree, so may well have affected others. Otoh, and this is my two
pennorth, for what i's worth, could the concrete of the planter affect
the tree in some way. I don't know.

Cold spring idea might be consistent with our experience - all our
springs are cold ;-) so it may be your fig starts into action earlier
normally, whereas ours is about its normal time, and we've had about 120
figs.

Ours has its roots surrounded by concrete slabs, so don't think the
concrete is a problem.

--
kay

At the time of writing, I saw that the tree is almost devoid of leaves after
the rough weather, but there are still quite a few unripe figs hanging on.

Bill