Old 07-11-2013, 10:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David Rance[_3_] David Rance[_3_] is offline

Default A new apple!

More than ten years ago (I think!) I planted some apple pips to see if I
could grow a tree. It's something I used to do from time to time with
little or no success.

However, after more than ten years or so, I now have a tree which I
planted in my French garden and this year, for the first time, it
produced its first apples. Great excitement! What would it be like?

In fact it is a beautiful eating apple. It looks good and the flesh is
crisp. It seems to be a late ripener - the apples weren't fully ripe
until late October. It is obviously a cross between the two apple trees
that I have here in my garden in Reading, one a cooker and the other an
eater, both of which were grown from seed by my predecessor more than
seventy years ago, so they themselves were something of a mongrel. But
this new one is superb. (My wife wants to call it the Rance's Wonder!)

Anyway, the purpose of this message is to ask about grafting. I want to
create more of the same that I can hand on to my children and I know
that I can do this only by grafting. What I need to know is, where can I
get rootstocks for this purpose? Does anyone know of a reliable
supplier?

David