Old 12-11-2013, 08:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Kale varieties

In article ,
Bob Hobden wrote:

Cavallero Nero (a.k.a. Italian black kale) is very good, but I
am underimpressed with Fizz. Not merely does it taste coarse,
most of it has started to produce flowering heads. If we get
another month of mild weather, I will get some early broccoli
from it, otherwise it will be a write-off.

We grew some white sprouting broccoli, grew is the operative word, it has
grown to a silly height and now it's snapping off branches easily and
falling over yet not a sign of anything sprouting.

Some of my purple broccoli has grown to 4', which is tall but not
yet silly, but I grow it for spring sprouting. However, I have had
to stake quite a few of the plants - often the shorter ones!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.