Old 13-11-2013, 08:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
stuart noble stuart noble is offline

Default Chelsea 2014, bye bye Alan T.

On 12/11/2013 23:11, Bob Hobden wrote:
"Janet" wrote

BobH says...

"Jeff" wrote

Monty Don set to replace Alan next year.

http://bit.ly/17lAiHK

Guess he'll have to go and buy himself some decent clothes now

They've cut Mr T and left Christine Walkden in? Beggars belief.

Good!

I watch Chelsea on TV for the plants and gardens; as does everyone who
didn't attend in person.
I find AT's unctuous "keep the camera on ME cracking feeble jokes with
my stooge" style of presenting it insufferably intrusive.

I find Christine Walden appalling as a presenter and virtually in every
other way, I simply cannot watch her. Mr T is a trained gardener and
knows his stuff, he is also the most senior gardener TV presenter.
Chelsea is too "precious" to be anything other than laughed at. It's
also much better on the TV than in person, you can actually see things IME.

Sophie
Raworth will bring a reporters eye to the show and, as you say, Monty
will
have to smarten up. Can't be shabby at Chelsea.

I'd sooner see MD in a worn linen suit any day, than AT decked out in
another godawful home-counties-meets-the-yacht-club stripey
shirt/blazer/ tailored suit ensemble.

And nobody will ever NOTICE what Christine Walkden is wearing, let
alone care, because she never hogs the camera or intrudes between the
viewer and gardens.

I cannot abide the woman, voice like a rat tailed file. Funny enough I
think she does exactly what you say she does not.

I think Sophie Rayworth's face has changed recently. Not saying she's
had "work done" exactly but....