Old 13-11-2013, 03:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_11_] Sacha[_11_] is offline

Default Chelsea 2014, bye bye Alan T.

On 2013-11-12 18:45:24 +0000, Paul Corfield said:

On Tue, 12 Nov 2013 16:55:06 +0000, Jeff Layman
wrote:

On 12/11/2013 16:24, David Hill wrote:
On 12/11/2013 16:01, Bob Hobden wrote:
"Jeff" wrote

Monty Don set to replace Alan next year.

http://bit.ly/17lAiHK

Why do people always assume that a person has been dropped?
After 30 years could it be He wants a break?

Indeed.

Looks to me as if he's decided that commercial channels offer far
greater earning potential given the public pressure on BBC
expenditure.

From http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-24913433:
"The way the Chelsea coverage will be presented across the BBC has
changed for 2014, and Alan decided to step away from next year's show,"
said a BBC spokeswoman.

I dread to think what that means. The coverage is just about
tolerable now but if it becomes more "populist" we'll have people
doing X factor routines in the Clematis displays.

Of course, one never knows the part that an equivalent to "constructive
dismissal" might play... :-)

I appreciate you gave us a smiley above but I think Mr T would really
struggle to demonstrate "constructive dismissal". He's surely a
"freelance" or whatever the term is for "fantastically well paid and
popular celebrity" who turns up on all sorts of programmes?

It's been suggested that his association with Waitrose has made it
difficult for the BBC to go on employing him for Chelsea. Obviously,
Waitrose is the more lucrative contract, I'd think. It's probably a
mutual decision.

I don't know about that but he is all-over B&Q

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-Show-job.html

I'm very sorry to see him go. He knew what he was talking about, has
real gardening experience and is a clear and concise presenter. Once
the direction dropped all that foolishness between him and Diarmuid
Gavin, things improved immeasurably. It's a shame that the presenters
get blamed for the fact that cameras linger too much on them. I suspect
that because we live in such a celeb culture time, directors who know
little to nothing about gardening, imagine that the 'celeb presenter'
should be the focus far too often. We know differently! But it has to
be remembered, too, that AT has a strong fan base, so the cameras are
going to stay on him a lot.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com