Old 13-11-2013, 05:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Kale varieties

In article ,
On 2013-11-11 23:37:39 +0000, Bob Hobden said:

Cavallero Nero (a.k.a. Italian black kale) is very good, but I
am underimpressed with Fizz. Not merely does it taste coarse,
most of it has started to produce flowering heads. If we get
another month of mild weather, I will get some early broccoli
from it, otherwise it will be a write-off.

We grew some white sprouting broccoli, grew is the operative word, it
has grown to a silly height and now it's snapping off branches easily
and falling over yet not a sign of anything sprouting.

I must admit, I see no point in kale if you have Savoy cabbage. One of
the team here showed us how she makes an 'amazing juice' with loads of
kale, celery and carrots. I took one sip and thought I'd swallowed
pond water. Vile!

I have heard of that recipe - love it or loathe it, in a ratio of
1 to 99 - I may try it sometime, on the grounds that it is neither
incest nor folk dancing, but am expecting to be in the majority :-)

But I do recommend that you try Cavallero Nero - the pretentious
eating houses that serve it do have a point, because it is actually
very good.Savoy cabbage is OK, but it I find it rather unexciting.
Typical UK kales are best fed to cattle, I agree - I had hoped that
Fizz was better, but it isn't.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.