Old 14-11-2013, 11:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_11_] Sacha[_11_] is offline

Default Kale varieties

On 2013-11-11 23:37:39 +0000, Bob Hobden said:

"Nick Maclaren" wrote

Cavallero Nero (a.k.a. Italian black kale) is very good, but I
am underimpressed with Fizz. Not merely does it taste coarse,
most of it has started to produce flowering heads. If we get
another month of mild weather, I will get some early broccoli
from it, otherwise it will be a write-off.

We grew some white sprouting broccoli, grew is the operative word, it
has grown to a silly height and now it's snapping off branches easily
and falling over yet not a sign of anything sprouting.

I must admit, I see no point in kale if you have Savoy cabbage. One of
the team here showed us how she makes an 'amazing juice' with loads of
kale, celery and carrots. I took one sip and thought I'd swallowed pond
water. Vile!

Isn't that one of the concoctions that "Puts hair on your chest"?

Who would want to eat Savoy cabbage?
The best winter cabbage for taste is January King.
David

I *like* Savoy cabbage. Beau Brummel would have disowned me! ;-)
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com