Old 20-11-2013, 05:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Trying to grow Wasabi (japanese mustard)

"r brooks" wrote

"Nick Maclaren" wrote

r brooks wrote:

Have been given a piece of Wasabi root, it has a couple of tiny new
shoots
on it. Have done a search on how to grow it, and seem to come across a
lot
of slightly conflicting advice.

Would like to try to grow it. Has anyone here had any success with
growing
it, or could recommend a website known to be reliable? Thanks.

No, but I looked into it. It needs consistently warm (i.e. UK 'hot')
conditions, fairly high humidity and ample water. I decided not to
bother, but you might succeed.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

thanks. but looks like someone has got the hang of it...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddr...to-Wasabi.html

Looking at the plant in one of the links on that page it reminds me of what
we used to call "cabbage" when we went fishing. Also use to plant the roots
in the grave of our tropical aquariums for their attractive foliage, not
that they lasted too long in the warm water. I think they were actually
"Brandy Bottles" growing in fast shallow water.

Regards
Bob Hobden