Old 10-12-2013, 04:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Dahlias still going

"David Hill" wrote

Pam Moore wrote:
David Hill wrote:

Despite some frosts and 2 strong gales (Winds gusting to over 55mph in
one and over 70mph in the other ) the Imperialis are around 14ft tall
with trunks like small trees
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...psb8d25b20.jpg

The flowers are starting to open despite everything
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...psb2d1320e.jpg

The D, Tennicaulis is looking more healthy chiefly because the foliage
is a bit shorter and is protected by the surrounding stems.
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...ps2e2f9b7d.jpg

But if you look at the flower closely you will see this
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...ps18ca0418.jpg

Will you get seed from them? They look good.

I watered my wall-basket this morning: surfinia and bacopa still
flowering well. I've never had them still in flower in December!

No chance of seed Pam but I want to try to collect some pollen from them if
I can and try to store it to use next year on some earlier flowering
dahlias.

It would be an interesting cross with "The Bishop", 14 ft tall dark red
foliage.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.