Old 09-12-2013, 05:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Dahlias still going

Despite some frosts and 2 strong gales (Winds gusting to over 55mph in
one and over 70mph in the other ) the Imperialis are around 14ft tall
with trunks like small trees
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...psb8d25b20.jpg

The flowers are starting to open despite everything
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...psb2d1320e.jpg

The D, Tennicaulis is looking more healthy chiefly because the foliage
is a bit shorter and is protected by the surrounding stems.
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...ps2e2f9b7d.jpg

But if you look at the flower closely you will see this
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...ps18ca0418.jpg

David @ a still mild side of Swansea Bay
Old 09-12-2013, 10:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 09 Dec 2013 17:49:32 +0000, David Hill
wrote:

Despite some frosts and 2 strong gales (Winds gusting to over 55mph in
one and over 70mph in the other ) the Imperialis are around 14ft tall
with trunks like small trees
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...psb8d25b20.jpg

The flowers are starting to open despite everything
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...psb2d1320e.jpg

The D, Tennicaulis is looking more healthy chiefly because the foliage
is a bit shorter and is protected by the surrounding stems.
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...ps2e2f9b7d.jpg

But if you look at the flower closely you will see this
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...ps18ca0418.jpg

David @ a still mild side of Swansea Bay

Will you get seed from them? They look good.

I watered my wall-basket this morning: surfinia and bacopa still
flowering well. I've never had them still in flower in December!

Pam in Bristol
Old 10-12-2013, 08:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David Hill" wrote ...

Despite some frosts and 2 strong gales (Winds gusting to over 55mph in one
and over 70mph in the other ) the Imperialis are around 14ft tall with
trunks like small trees
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...psb8d25b20.jpg

The flowers are starting to open despite everything
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...psb2d1320e.jpg

The D, Tennicaulis is looking more healthy chiefly because the foliage is a
bit shorter and is protected by the surrounding stems.
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...ps2e2f9b7d.jpg

But if you look at the flower closely you will see this
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...ps18ca0418.jpg

I found once the frost got to them (D. imperialis) they just collapsed and I
was left with the tree trunk like stems and little else except a black
sludge. Every year they got to upstairs window height with flower buds
growing bigger by the day and bang, gone. Very frustrating but a beautiful
architectural plant and a big talking point with those that had never seen
one before; I was constantly being asked by passers by what it was and was
never sure they believed me.
I lost ours in a bad winter, should have taken a few cuttings as insurance
but I had given one to a friend and thought that would be enough, it wasn't
as he lost his the same winter.

--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 10-12-2013, 10:14 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

No chance of seed Pam but I want to try to collect some pollen from them
if I can and try to store it to use next year on some earlier flowering
dahlias.
David
Old 10-12-2013, 02:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-12-10 08:51:35 +0000, Bob Hobden said:

"David Hill" wrote ...

[...]

I'll send you one, Bob. But do you want it now or in spring?
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 10-12-2013, 03:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"sacha" wrote

Bob Hobden said:

"David Hill" wrote ...

[...]

That is very kind of you Sacha, spring please, greenhouse is a bit cramped
at the moment. :-)
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 10-12-2013, 04:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-12-10 15:01:36 +0000, Bob Hobden said:

"sacha" wrote

Bob Hobden said:

"David Hill" wrote ...

[...]

No problem but you know my memory, so give me a nudge in spring!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 10-12-2013, 04:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David Hill" wrote

Pam Moore wrote:
David Hill wrote:

[...]

It would be an interesting cross with "The Bishop", 14 ft tall dark red
foliage.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 10-12-2013, 04:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"sacha" wrote

Bob Hobden said:

"sacha" wrote

Bob Hobden said:

"David Hill" wrote ...

[...]

I won't forget (I'll put it in the diary). :-)
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.