Old 10-12-2013, 04:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Dahlias still going

"sacha" wrote

Bob Hobden said:

"sacha" wrote

Bob Hobden said:

"David Hill" wrote ...

Despite some frosts and 2 strong gales (Winds gusting to over 55mph in
one and over 70mph in the other ) the Imperialis are around 14ft tall
with trunks like small trees
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...psb8d25b20.jpg
The flowers are starting to open despite everything
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...psb2d1320e.jpg
The D, Tennicaulis is looking more healthy chiefly because the foliage
is a bit shorter and is protected by the surrounding stems.
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...ps2e2f9b7d.jpg
But if you look at the flower closely you will see this
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...ps18ca0418.jpg
I found once the frost got to them (D. imperialis) they just collapsed
and I was left with the tree trunk like stems and little else except a
black sludge. Every year they got to upstairs window height with flower
buds growing bigger by the day and bang, gone. Very frustrating but a
beautiful architectural plant and a big talking point with those that
had never seen one before; I was constantly being asked by passers by
what it was and was never sure they believed me.
I lost ours in a bad winter, should have taken a few cuttings as
insurance but I had given one to a friend and thought that would be
enough, it wasn't as he lost his the same winter.

I'll send you one, Bob. But do you want it now or in spring?

That is very kind of you Sacha, spring please, greenhouse is a bit
cramped at the moment. :-)

No problem but you know my memory, so give me a nudge in spring!

I won't forget (I'll put it in the diary). :-)
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.