Old 12-12-2013, 12:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Frank Booth Frank Booth is offline

Default Big shrub in small raised bed

A neighbour planted a Viburnum Tinus in a narrow raised bed which is
basically a double 4' wall with a hollow area used for planting on top. At
the moment it's overrun with Muscari, and at one end is this very healthy
lookung Viburnum Tinus full of pink bud. The viburnum is about 2' tall so
it's a young shrub. He asked me how to improve the look of the bed as it
currently looks a mess with all the Muscari leaves. I suggested Aubtretia,
Iberis and a few other alpine types. I then mentioned that his Viburnum was
planted in the wrong place and needed to be moved as its potential height
and spread is 8'. He was insistent on leaving it in there asking could it
not be pruned sufficiently each year to keep ot at its current size. I
pointed out that it was possible but the roots would spread and possibly
damage his wall.

So, is my neighbour ok leaving the shrub in this bed or should it be moved?