Old 13-12-2013, 09:40 AM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Booth View Post
I think ordinary lavenda is a bit too big unless you are thinking of
Munstead which is a nice idea, but I don't know how long it lives for.
Doesn't it need hot summers to really do well? I'd cetainly put that on my
list. Erigeron is ok if you are into daisies, not for me but maybe my
neighbour might prefer them.Cerastium's a nice idea perhaps as a possible
alternative to Iberis Sempervirens which I'm a big fan of, and it flowers
non stop for nearly 3 months into early summer. Armeria Splendens is another
one when it comes to summer flowering.
I've removed the lavender which was growing in my wall and placed it at the bottom instead. It is big - it looks OK if you just have lavender (so everything's on a scale), but looks scruffy in a mixed bed. Apart from them herbs above, and the iberis, snow in summer, aubretia and armeria which have already been mentioned, I also have rock roses, sedum (the small white flowered one), dwarf wallflowers (not so neat, but they're in a less visible spot and give early perfume), ivy leaved toadflax (?Cymbalaria) = you could use the larger flowered garden variety, pinks, Nottingham catchfly.

Thymes and the rockery dianthus are good for extending the flowering period later into the summer.

The important things are

1) get a complete covering of foliage. If you have gaps between plants, it just looks as if they're struggling.

2) get a variety of foliage for when things aren't in flower. I really value the bright yellow of the golden oregano.