Old 15-12-2013, 01:52 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Plant identification assistance

Bill wrote:
I "stole" this plant from beside the dumpster because it looked
healthy and interesting and I'm aiming to identify it so I can care
for it, water it to the appropriate amount & frequency, etc. Please
see below. Anyone? I'd say it's about 4 feet (120 cm) from dirt to
top.
http://share.shutterfly.com/share/re...AZsnDhu5aOGLkY

http://share.shutterfly.com/share/re...AZsnDhu5aOGLmQ

Thanks in advance -

- Bill

I go for a Dracaena, the colours on the leaf edges are not as prominent as
most exemplars but likely Dracaena marginata or a close relative.

It is suitable for sub-tropical to warm temperate climates outdoors where it
will grow 6m or more in good conditions. In cool climates it is a house
plant and usually doesn't grow more than 2m indoors. If it gets leggy you
can top it and it will grow new shoots eventually forming quite an
interesting angular tortured kind of shape. You can strike the tip cuttings
easily too. It isn't too fussy about growing conditions except for not
liking cold. If you keep it indoors in front of a sun-facing window, and
fed and watered in the growing season it will grow easily.

David