Old 14-12-2013, 11:57 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Plant identification assistance

I "stole" this plant from beside the dumpster because it looked healthy
and interesting and I'm aiming to identify it so I can care for it,
water it to the appropriate amount & frequency, etc. Please see below.
Anyone? I'd say it's about 4 feet (120 cm) from dirt to top.

http://share.shutterfly.com/share/re...AZsnDhu5aOGLkY

http://share.shutterfly.com/share/re...AZsnDhu5aOGLmQ

Thanks in advance -

- Bill

Old 15-12-2013, 12:30 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 12/14/2013 3:57 PM, Bill wrote:

I "stole" this plant from beside the dumpster because it looked healthy
and interesting and I'm aiming to identify it so I can care for it,
water it to the appropriate amount & frequency, etc. Please see below.
Anyone? I'd say it's about 4 feet (120 cm) from dirt to top.

http://share.shutterfly.com/share/re...AZsnDhu5aOGLkY

http://share.shutterfly.com/share/re...AZsnDhu5aOGLmQ

Thanks in advance -

- Bill

It is a Cordyline, possibly C. fruitcosa. If it is C. fruitcosa, it is
a tropical that is a houseplant in most U.S. climates.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see
Old 15-12-2013, 01:52 AM posted to rec.gardens

Bill wrote:
I "stole" this plant from beside the dumpster because it looked
healthy and interesting and I'm aiming to identify it so I can care
for it, water it to the appropriate amount & frequency, etc. Please
see below. Anyone? I'd say it's about 4 feet (120 cm) from dirt to
top.
http://share.shutterfly.com/share/re...AZsnDhu5aOGLkY

http://share.shutterfly.com/share/re...AZsnDhu5aOGLmQ

Thanks in advance -

- Bill

I go for a Dracaena, the colours on the leaf edges are not as prominent as
most exemplars but likely Dracaena marginata or a close relative.

It is suitable for sub-tropical to warm temperate climates outdoors where it
will grow 6m or more in good conditions. In cool climates it is a house
plant and usually doesn't grow more than 2m indoors. If it gets leggy you
can top it and it will grow new shoots eventually forming quite an
interesting angular tortured kind of shape. You can strike the tip cuttings
easily too. It isn't too fussy about growing conditions except for not
liking cold. If you keep it indoors in front of a sun-facing window, and
fed and watered in the growing season it will grow easily.

David

Old 15-12-2013, 02:12 AM posted to rec.gardens

David E. Ross wrote:
On 12/14/2013 3:57 PM, Bill wrote:

I "stole" this plant from beside the dumpster because it looked
healthy and interesting and I'm aiming to identify it so I can care
for it, water it to the appropriate amount & frequency, etc. Please
see below. Anyone? I'd say it's about 4 feet (120 cm) from dirt to
top.

http://share.shutterfly.com/share/re...AZsnDhu5aOGLkY

http://share.shutterfly.com/share/re...AZsnDhu5aOGLmQ

Thanks in advance -

- Bill

It is a Cordyline, possibly C. fruitcosa. If it is C. fruitcosa, it
is a tropical that is a houseplant in most U.S. climates.

I don't think so. Cordyline fruticosa has softer, broader more erect leaves
and a more definite pink-red colour most of the time. I reckon Dracaena
marginata. I think they would not be distant relatives and probably enjoy
the same conditions.

Old 16-12-2013, 01:16 AM
Registered User

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hare-Scott[_2_] View Post
David E. Ross wrote:
[...]

I agree. It is definetly not a Cordyline.
Dracaena marginata has distinctive redness along outer edges of leaves, which seem to be missing, but the narrowness of its leaves fits with marginata and very few other Dracaena types.

Old 16-12-2013, 07:59 AM posted to rec.gardens

kris anthem um wrote:
'David Hare-Scott[_2_ Wrote:
;996429']David E. Ross wrote:-
On 12/14/2013 3:57 PM, Bill wrote:-

I "stole" this plant from beside the dumpster because it looked
healthy and interesting and I'm aiming to identify it so I can care
for it, water it to the appropriate amount & frequency, etc. Please
see below. Anyone? I'd say it's about 4 feet (120 cm) from dirt to
top.

http://tinyurl.com/nwtq7o7

http://tinyurl.com/ntfke4b

Thanks in advance -

- Bill
-

It is a Cordyline, possibly C. fruitcosa. If it is C. fruitcosa, it
is a tropical that is a houseplant in most U.S. climates.-

I don't think so. Cordyline fruticosa has softer, broader more erect
leaves
and a more definite pink-red colour most of the time. I reckon
Dracaena

marginata. I think they would not be distant relatives and probably
enjoy
the same conditions.

I agree. It is definetly not a Cordyline.
Dracaena marginata has distinctive redness along outer edges of
leaves, which seem to be missing, but the narrowness of its leaves
fits with marginata and very few other Dracaena types.

If you google images of D.marginata you will see a wide variation in the
leaf colours, from the more standard green with red margins, green with
other shades of green margins to almost orange. I think the breeders have
been busy over that last decade or two producing variant cultivars. In any
event I am comfortable that if the OP treats it as that he will not go too
far wrong with the growing conditions.

Old 18-12-2013, 01:40 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 12/14/2013 6:57 PM, Bill wrote:

I "stole" this plant from beside the dumpster because it looked healthy
and interesting and I'm aiming to identify it so I can care for it,
water it to the appropriate amount & frequency, etc. Please see below.
Anyone? I'd say it's about 4 feet (120 cm) from dirt to top.

http://share.shutterfly.com/share/re...AZsnDhu5aOGLkY

http://share.shutterfly.com/share/re...AZsnDhu5aOGLmQ

Thanks in advance -

- Bill

Thanks to all for replies, I have (at least) 3 choices to investigate
and hopefully I can care for it properly based on what I've learned -

- Bill