Old 16-12-2013, 08:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
sacha sacha is offline

Default nandina domestica advice

On 2013-12-16 15:52:24 +0000, Bob Hobden said:

"Emery Davis" wrote

We have a good growing Nandina, well established, about 8 ft after 10 or
so years in ground. It tends to die back a bit in winter -- certainly
all of the new growth it's trying to put on now won't make a really hard
freeze -- but bounce back well in spring. I give it some wood ash each
year and maybe a little seaweed every few years. The exposition is quite
shady and sheltered.

But, I have never seen the berries form well and last through the winter.
They tend to be small if developing at all, then drop off. Currently
there are lots of small red berries but they're clearly in the process of
dropping.

What can I do to get better and longer lasting fruit? Is there a magic
fertiliser that will help?

Ours in in full sun in our hot front garden, has got to the stage where
I'm having to hack it back. I find the berries don't last but assumed
it was the birds as I've not noticed any on the ground.

All I can add to this is that while we sell it, we haven't grown it
ourselves so haven't seen it berrying. However, years ago, we saw
considerable hedges of it in Los Angeles and San Francisco in October
and I don't recall a single berry on any of them. These were around 4'
tall and the growth was very luxuriant.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com