Old 16-12-2013, 11:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default nandina domestica advice

We have a good growing Nandina, well established, about 8 ft after 10 or
so years in ground. It tends to die back a bit in winter -- certainly
all of the new growth it's trying to put on now won't make a really hard
freeze -- but bounce back well in spring. I give it some wood ash each
year and maybe a little seaweed every few years. The exposition is quite
shady and sheltered.

But, I have never seen the berries form well and last through the winter.
They tend to be small if developing at all, then drop off. Currently
there are lots of small red berries but they're clearly in the process of
dropping.

What can I do to get better and longer lasting fruit? Is there a magic
fertiliser that will help?

TIA,

-E

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy
Old 16-12-2013, 01:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 16 Dec 2013 11:33:41 +0000, Emery Davis wrote:

The exposition is quite shady and sheltered.

Dishonest preaching?
Old 16-12-2013, 03:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Emery Davis" wrote

We have a good growing Nandina, well established, about 8 ft after 10 or
so years in ground. It tends to die back a bit in winter -- certainly
all of the new growth it's trying to put on now won't make a really hard
freeze -- but bounce back well in spring. I give it some wood ash each
year and maybe a little seaweed every few years. The exposition is quite
shady and sheltered.

But, I have never seen the berries form well and last through the winter.
They tend to be small if developing at all, then drop off. Currently
there are lots of small red berries but they're clearly in the process of
dropping.

What can I do to get better and longer lasting fruit? Is there a magic
fertiliser that will help?

Ours in in full sun in our hot front garden, has got to the stage where I'm
having to hack it back. I find the berries don't last but assumed it was the
birds as I've not noticed any on the ground.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 16-12-2013, 08:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-12-16 15:52:24 +0000, Bob Hobden said:

"Emery Davis" wrote

[...]

All I can add to this is that while we sell it, we haven't grown it
ourselves so haven't seen it berrying. However, years ago, we saw
considerable hedges of it in Los Angeles and San Francisco in October
and I don't recall a single berry on any of them. These were around 4'
tall and the growth was very luxuriant.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 16-12-2013, 11:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-12-16 15:52:24 +0000, Bob Hobden said:

"Emery Davis" wrote

What can I do to get better and longer lasting fruit? Is there a
magic fertiliser that will help?

Ours in in full sun in our hot front garden, has got to the stage where
I'm having to hack it back. I find the berries don't last but assumed
it was the birds as I've not noticed any on the ground.

All I can add to this is that while we sell it, we haven't grown it
ourselves so haven't seen it berrying. However, years ago, we saw
considerable hedges of it in Los Angeles and San Francisco in October
and I don't recall a single berry on any of them. These were around 4'
tall and the growth was very luxuriant.

Yes it sounds as if it might be down to climate. I thought perhaps to
try and root some and stick it in a sunnier location, but it looks like
Bob's experience shows that wont help much.

I suppose maybe it needs a hot, humid Kyoto summer...

Thanks all,

-E

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy

Old 16-12-2013, 11:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 16 Dec 2013 12:50:06 +0000, Chris Hogg wrote:

On 16 Dec 2013 11:33:41 GMT, Emery Davis wrote:

What can I do to get better and longer lasting fruit? Is there a magic
fertiliser that will help?

TIA,

-E

The RHS site says only the female plants produce berries, and only after
a hot summer. The latter we had, and I assume Normandy was the same, but
is it getting properly pollinated? Both male plant and female plants are
needed for good berry formation, so a male plant may be needed nearby.
ND 'Richmond' is hermaphrodite, apparently, so is self pollinating.

Hi Chris,

It must be female as it does set berries, they're just small and don't
last long. I don't know if it's dieceous as you suggest, but even if so
I guess that would effect seed viability more than fruit formation?

cheers,

-E

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy
Old 17-12-2013, 08:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Emery Davis" wrote

sacha wrote:

Bob Hobden said:

"Emery Davis" wrote

What can I do to get better and longer lasting fruit? Is there a
magic fertiliser that will help?

Ours in in full sun in our hot front garden, has got to the stage where
I'm having to hack it back. I find the berries don't last but assumed
it was the birds as I've not noticed any on the ground.

All I can add to this is that while we sell it, we haven't grown it
ourselves so haven't seen it berrying. However, years ago, we saw
considerable hedges of it in Los Angeles and San Francisco in October
and I don't recall a single berry on any of them. These were around 4'
tall and the growth was very luxuriant.

Yes it sounds as if it might be down to climate. I thought perhaps to
try and root some and stick it in a sunnier location, but it looks like
Bob's experience shows that wont help much.

I suppose maybe it needs a hot, humid Kyoto summer...

Mine is trying to spread slowly with underground "runners" which I'm having
to pull up and discard, all with a good root system. So it must like the
position. I thought this plant was not like the real bamboos but it seems to
want to spread.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.