Old 16-12-2013, 11:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default nandina domestica advice

On Mon, 16 Dec 2013 12:50:06 +0000, Chris Hogg wrote:

On 16 Dec 2013 11:33:41 GMT, Emery Davis wrote:

What can I do to get better and longer lasting fruit? Is there a magic
fertiliser that will help?

TIA,

-E

The RHS site says only the female plants produce berries, and only after
a hot summer. The latter we had, and I assume Normandy was the same, but
is it getting properly pollinated? Both male plant and female plants are
needed for good berry formation, so a male plant may be needed nearby.
ND 'Richmond' is hermaphrodite, apparently, so is self pollinating.

Hi Chris,

It must be female as it does set berries, they're just small and don't
last long. I don't know if it's dieceous as you suggest, but even if so
I guess that would effect seed viability more than fruit formation?

cheers,

-E

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy