Old 28-12-2013, 12:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Frank Booth Frank Booth is offline

Default New Roses Dilemma

Having planted out bare-rooted roses a few weeks ago, with all the mild
weather and rain since, most of the buds left after pruning the roses hard
are now breakting or are about to. The leading stems are only 3 - 4 inches
in length with all the buds along their lemgths now breaking. I don't think
I've seen a winter in the UK before where roses refuse to become dormant

I'm concerned that when the hard frost eventually arrives these new laterals
will be killed off and subssequent die-back might extend back to the graft
union, killing these roses...Or am I worrying unnecessarily?