Old 30-12-2013, 10:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rod[_5_] Rod[_5_] is offline

Default New Roses Dilemma

On Saturday, December 28, 2013 12:57:11 PM UTC, Frank Booth Snr wrote:
Having planted out bare-rooted roses a few weeks ago, with all the mild

weather and rain since, most of the buds left after pruning the roses hard

are now breakting or are about to. The leading stems are only 3 - 4 inches

in length with all the buds along their lemgths now breaking. I don't think

I've seen a winter in the UK before where roses refuse to become dormant

I'm concerned that when the hard frost eventually arrives these new laterals

will be killed off and subssequent die-back might extend back to the graft

union, killing these roses...Or am I worrying unnecessarily?

Are you worrying unnecessarily? Yes - there will almost certainly lower buds not visible.
But as Charlie has said it is good practice to plant with the union about 2"
down so those lowest buds will be protected and that union will remain below ground after it has settled.
If the union is above ground the plant will be vulnerable to wind rock which can damage roots severely and promote suckering.

Rod