Old 09-01-2014, 11:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_11_] Sacha[_11_] is offline

Default Choosing tomatoes.

On 2014-01-09 10:50:56 +0000, Derek Turner said:

On Thu, 09 Jan 2014 08:55:51 +0000, Bob Hobden wrote:

Not the same Tomato, Brigade was sold by T & M and was "proper sized"
round and red.
They continued to sell it in the USA for a couple of years but refused
to allow me to purchase some.

Shame you didn't seed-save then. We 'Jersey Sunrise' fans have to try to
avoid cross-pollination (gro-bag in back yard, neighbours don't grow
tomatoes) and save seed every year. Don't save seed from the allotment-
grown ones for obvious reasons.

Try the various seed-swapping organizations?

Derek

We saved some of last year's Jersey Sunrise and have been sent more
from a Renouf family member who lives above Rozel, brother in law of
friends of ours in Jersey. Several members of that extremely large
extended family, all grow Jersey Sunrise. Ray has now sown them all
and we'll be interested to see if we find a difference between our
'old' seeds and the recent arrivals.
Bob, I wonder if you've asked your contacts at Kew if they have these
in the Millennium Seed Bank or know of someone who does? I'm sure
you've got friends in USA but some of ours are connected with gardening
and landscaping and if you wish, I can email them to see if they can
find them and send them to me.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com