Old 08-01-2014, 12:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Choosing tomatoes.

Doing my veg seed order last night I realised what a mess catalogues are
when it comes to tomatoes, instead of grouping them in size etc. they
are all mixed together and it's not easy to find a "Proper" sized tomato
for sandwiches and salad use.
I don't want those little things which seem to predominate the lists.
It's surprising to see how the "Old Varieties" Alicante, etc. are still
around more than half a century after they were launched.
David @ at a yet again rainy side of Swansea Bay
Old 08-01-2014, 03:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David Hill" wrote

Doing my veg seed order last night I realised what a mess catalogues are
when it comes to tomatoes, instead of grouping them in size etc. they are
all mixed together and it's not easy to find a "Proper" sized tomato for
sandwiches and salad use.
I don't want those little things which seem to predominate the lists.
It's surprising to see how the "Old Varieties" Alicante, etc. are still
around more than half a century after they were launched.

A few years ago there was a Tom in the catalogues called "Brigade" which was
normal sized but with dark red meaty flesh , bred for sauces, but they also
made perfect Toms for sandwiches as they didn't make the bread go soggy.
Sadly I have been unable to find it for the last few years.

--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 08-01-2014, 05:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

http://www.charlconseeds.com.au/toma...ade-roma.seeds
Old 09-01-2014, 08:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Derek" wrote ...

Bob Hobden wrote:

A few years ago there was a Tom in the catalogues called "Brigade"

http://www.charlconseeds.com.au/toma...gade-roma.seed

Not the same Tomato, Brigade was sold by T & M and was "proper sized" round
and red.
They continued to sell it in the USA for a couple of years but refused to
allow me to purchase some.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 09-01-2014, 10:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 09 Jan 2014 08:55:51 +0000, Bob Hobden wrote:

Not the same Tomato, Brigade was sold by T & M and was "proper sized"
round and red.
They continued to sell it in the USA for a couple of years but refused
to allow me to purchase some.

Shame you didn't seed-save then. We 'Jersey Sunrise' fans have to try to
avoid cross-pollination (gro-bag in back yard, neighbours don't grow
tomatoes) and save seed every year. Don't save seed from the allotment-
grown ones for obvious reasons.

Try the various seed-swapping organizations?

Derek

Old 09-01-2014, 11:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-01-09 10:50:56 +0000, Derek Turner said:

On Thu, 09 Jan 2014 08:55:51 +0000, Bob Hobden wrote:

Not the same Tomato, Brigade was sold by T & M and was "proper sized"
round and red.
They continued to sell it in the USA for a couple of years but refused
to allow me to purchase some.

Shame you didn't seed-save then. We 'Jersey Sunrise' fans have to try to
avoid cross-pollination (gro-bag in back yard, neighbours don't grow
tomatoes) and save seed every year. Don't save seed from the allotment-
grown ones for obvious reasons.

Try the various seed-swapping organizations?

Derek

We saved some of last year's Jersey Sunrise and have been sent more
from a Renouf family member who lives above Rozel, brother in law of
friends of ours in Jersey. Several members of that extremely large
extended family, all grow Jersey Sunrise. Ray has now sown them all
and we'll be interested to see if we find a difference between our
'old' seeds and the recent arrivals.
Bob, I wonder if you've asked your contacts at Kew if they have these
in the Millennium Seed Bank or know of someone who does? I'm sure
you've got friends in USA but some of ours are connected with gardening
and landscaping and if you wish, I can email them to see if they can
find them and send them to me.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 09-01-2014, 02:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 09 Jan 2014 11:32:07 +0000, Sacha wrote:

Ray has now sown them all and we'll be interested to see if we find a
difference between our 'old' seeds and the recent arrivals.

Heavens! It is time I was sowing mine? I have no greenhouse and thought it
was a bit early to be starting them on the window-sill???
Old 09-01-2014, 02:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-01-09 14:17:15 +0000, Derek Turner said:

On Thu, 09 Jan 2014 11:32:07 +0000, Sacha wrote:

Ray has now sown them all and we'll be interested to see if we find a
difference between our 'old' seeds and the recent arrivals.

Heavens! It is time I was sowing mine? I have no greenhouse and thought it
was a bit early to be starting them on the window-sill???

No, no! Don't forget Raymond has a prop. house with heated benches etc!
He usually starts them off early to be sure of getting a crop as early
as possible. I have to say that didn't work last year because of that
horribly cold spring!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 09-01-2014, 06:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote
Bob, I wonder if you've asked your contacts at Kew if they have these in
the Millennium Seed Bank or know of someone who does? I'm sure you've got
friends in USA but some of ours are connected with gardening and
landscaping and if you wish, I can email them to see if they can find them
and send them to me.

It was a variety specific to T & M, never saw it on any other list. It also
went from their US operation as a relative tried to buy it out there for us.
Unfortunately it would be no good me saving seed, it was F1 I believe, and
all ours are grown on the allotment in the open together with other
varieties and neighbouring plots all also grow tomatoes.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 09-01-2014, 07:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-01-09 18:25:43 +0000, Bob Hobden said:

"Sacha" wrote
Bob, I wonder if you've asked your contacts at Kew if they have these
in the Millennium Seed Bank or know of someone who does? I'm sure
you've got friends in USA but some of ours are connected with gardening
and landscaping and if you wish, I can email them to see if they can
find them and send them to me.

It was a variety specific to T & M, never saw it on any other list. It
also went from their US operation as a relative tried to buy it out
there for us. Unfortunately it would be no good me saving seed, it was
F1 I believe, and all ours are grown on the allotment in the open
together with other varieties and neighbouring plots all also grow
tomatoes.

Is it at all possible it was grown, later, under a different name? I
don't know how you'd find that out, I must admit but it may be worth
looking through some Italian lists, too.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 09-01-2014, 09:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 08/01/2014 12:47, David Hill wrote:
Doing my veg seed order last night I realised what a mess catalogues are
when it comes to tomatoes, instead of grouping them in size etc. they
are all mixed together and it's not easy to find a "Proper" sized tomato
for sandwiches and salad use.
I don't want those little things which seem to predominate the lists.
It's surprising to see how the "Old Varieties" Alicante, etc. are still
around more than half a century after they were launched.
David @ at a yet again rainy side of Swansea Bay

After trying many varietis over the years, this year I shall do a few
Alicanti, but mainly Tiny Tim, a cherry. It doesn't so much grow but
spread. From 6 plants last year I had in excess of 600 fruits. Perfect
to stick a handful in your pocket to munch all day.

--
Pete C
adventure before dementure
Old 10-01-2014, 12:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 09 Jan 2014 18:25:43 +0000, Bob Hobden wrote:

Unfortunately it would be no good me saving seed, it was F1

Ah, you didn't say that
Old 21-01-2014, 10:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 09/01/2014 21:58, Pete C wrote:
On 08/01/2014 12:47, David Hill wrote:
Doing my veg seed order last night I realised what a mess catalogues are
when it comes to tomatoes, instead of grouping them in size etc. they
are all mixed together and it's not easy to find a "Proper" sized tomato
for sandwiches and salad use.
I don't want those little things which seem to predominate the lists.
It's surprising to see how the "Old Varieties" Alicante, etc. are still
around more than half a century after they were launched.
David @ at a yet again rainy side of Swansea Bay

After trying many varietis over the years, this year I shall do a few
Alicanti, but mainly Tiny Tim, a cherry. It doesn't so much grow but
spread. From 6 plants last year I had in excess of 600 fruits. Perfect
to stick a handful in your pocket to munch all day.

We grow Faworyt (obviously Favourite had been taken) which is widely
available crops well and tastes delicious. (also Gardeners Delight for
salads)

advice needed for choosing flowers for full sun garden Goose Gardening 7 22-06-2003 01:20 PM
Choosing trees Shelly Gardening 6 20-06-2003 03:56 PM
Any good websites for choosing plants? Adam E Gardening 2 07-06-2003 04:21 AM
Help choosing commercial 48" walk-behind Roger Seymour Lawns 0 28-04-2003 11:20 AM
Choosing an apple tree Janet Galpin and Oliver Patterson United Kingdom 8 24-10-2002 06:36 PM