Old 12-01-2014, 10:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider[_3_] Spider[_3_] is offline

Default Houseplant ID required

On 2014-01-12 05:37:32 +0000,
] said:

Dear All,
Can anyone identify this houseplant?

http://www.mklab.rhul.ac.uk/~tom/foliage_ceramic1.jpg
http://www.mklab.rhul.ac.uk/~tom/foliage_ceramic2.jpg
http://www.mklab.rhul.ac.uk/~tom/foliage_ceramic3.jpg

It was bought from a local supermarket (the Co-op) which labelled it
just "Foliage Ceramic"! Its leaves have a V-shaped rear notch a
little like the Arrow Head plant (Sagittaria) but none of the pictures
of species of Arrow Head plants I found looked like it. Since being
bought a week ago two of its leaves are dying so any tips on care and
cultivation would be appreciated.

Thanks
Tom Crane
Ps. The email address in the header is just a spam-trap.

Alocasia amazonica Polly. Something 'mask' is an additional name, I
think.

I think you've got it, Sacha! I thought it might be a Caladium, but
your idea looks spot on. I've no idea how to grow it, but at least
the OP has something to look up now.

I have no shame! I Googled striped leaf Alocasia and that came up. The
overall shape and look seemed possible and so that led me onwards. It's
a very handsome plant but the OP needed a nudge with the first part of
the name and Kay supplied that, as did our less exotic Alocasias, soI
simply went a bit further.

Cheeky ... and very successful;~).

--
Spider.