Old 12-01-2014, 05:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Default Houseplant ID required

Dear All,
Can anyone identify this houseplant?

http://www.mklab.rhul.ac.uk/~tom/foliage_ceramic1.jpg
http://www.mklab.rhul.ac.uk/~tom/foliage_ceramic2.jpg
http://www.mklab.rhul.ac.uk/~tom/foliage_ceramic3.jpg

It was bought from a local supermarket (the Co-op) which labelled it
just "Foliage Ceramic"! Its leaves have a V-shaped rear notch a
little like the Arrow Head plant (Sagittaria) but none of the pictures
of species of Arrow Head plants I found looked like it. Since being
bought a week ago two of its leaves are dying so any tips on care and
cultivation would be appreciated.

Thanks
Tom Crane
Ps. The email address in the header is just a spam-trap.
--
Tom Crane, Dept. Physics, Royal Holloway, University of London, Egham Hill,
Egham, Surrey, TW20 0EX, England.

Old 12-01-2014, 09:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 12/01/2014 05:37, ] wrote:
Dear All,
Can anyone identify this houseplant?

http://www.mklab.rhul.ac.uk/~tom/foliage_ceramic1.jpg
http://www.mklab.rhul.ac.uk/~tom/foliage_ceramic2.jpg
http://www.mklab.rhul.ac.uk/~tom/foliage_ceramic3.jpg

It was bought from a local supermarket (the Co-op) which labelled it
just "Foliage Ceramic"! Its leaves have a V-shaped rear notch a
little like the Arrow Head plant (Sagittaria) but none of the pictures
of species of Arrow Head plants I found looked like it. Since being
bought a week ago two of its leaves are dying so any tips on care and
cultivation would be appreciated.

Thanks
Tom Crane
Ps. The email address in the header is just a spam-trap.

Looks to be to be a form of Syngonium podophyllum (Nephthytis)
http://home.howstuffworks.com/arrowhead-vine.htm
http://www.exoticangel.com/plant-lib...ies/nephthytis
David @ a very grey side of Swansea Bay
Old 12-01-2014, 01:36 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hogg View Post
On Sun, 12 Jan 2014 05:37:32 +0000 (UTC),
] wrote:

Dear All,
Can anyone identify this houseplant?

http://www.mklab.rhul.ac.uk/~tom/foliage_ceramic1.jpg
http://www.mklab.rhul.ac.uk/~tom/foliage_ceramic2.jpg
http://www.mklab.rhul.ac.uk/~tom/foliage_ceramic3.jpg

It was bought from a local supermarket (the Co-op) which labelled it
just "Foliage Ceramic"! Its leaves have a V-shaped rear notch a
little like the Arrow Head plant (Sagittaria) but none of the pictures
of species of Arrow Head plants I found looked like it. Since being
bought a week ago two of its leaves are dying so any tips on care and
cultivation would be appreciated.

Thanks
Tom Crane
Ps. The email address in the header is just a spam-trap.

Looks like one of the umpteen varieties of Begonia rex.

Cultivation hints and tips he
Rex Begonia—How to Grow Rex Begonia Species
http://www.finegardening.com/design/...varieties.aspx
Google for more.
No, not begonia - base of leeaves not asymmetrical enough. Alocasia?
__________________
Old 12-01-2014, 04:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-01-12 05:37:32 +0000,
] said:

Dear All,
Can anyone identify this houseplant?

http://www.mklab.rhul.ac.uk/~tom/foliage_ceramic1.jpg
http://www.mklab.rhul.ac.uk/~tom/foliage_ceramic2.jpg
http://www.mklab.rhul.ac.uk/~tom/foliage_ceramic3.jpg

It was bought from a local supermarket (the Co-op) which labelled it
just "Foliage Ceramic"! Its leaves have a V-shaped rear notch a
little like the Arrow Head plant (Sagittaria) but none of the pictures
of species of Arrow Head plants I found looked like it. Since being
bought a week ago two of its leaves are dying so any tips on care and
cultivation would be appreciated.

Thanks
Tom Crane
Ps. The email address in the header is just a spam-trap.

Alocasia amazonica Polly. Something 'mask' is an additional name, I think.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 12-01-2014, 04:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-01-12 05:37:32 +0000,
] said:

Dear All,
Can anyone identify this houseplant?

http://www.mklab.rhul.ac.uk/~tom/foliage_ceramic1.jpg
http://www.mklab.rhul.ac.uk/~tom/foliage_ceramic2.jpg
http://www.mklab.rhul.ac.uk/~tom/foliage_ceramic3.jpg

It was bought from a local supermarket (the Co-op) which labelled it
just "Foliage Ceramic"! Its leaves have a V-shaped rear notch a
little like the Arrow Head plant (Sagittaria) but none of the pictures
of species of Arrow Head plants I found looked like it. Since being
bought a week ago two of its leaves are dying so any tips on care and
cultivation would be appreciated.

Thanks
Tom Crane
Ps. The email address in the header is just a spam-trap.

Alocasia amazonica Polly. Something 'mask' is an additional name, I think.

I think you've got it, Sacha! I thought it might be a Caladium, but
your idea looks spot on. I've no idea how to grow it, but at least the
OP has something to look up now.

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 12-01-2014, 07:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-01-12 05:37:32 +0000,
] said:

[...]

I have no shame! I Googled striped leaf Alocasia and that came up. The
overall shape and look seemed possible and so that led me onwards.
It's a very handsome plant but the OP needed a nudge with the first
part of the name and Kay supplied that, as did our less exotic
Alocasias, soI simply went a bit further.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 12-01-2014, 10:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-01-12 05:37:32 +0000,
] said:

[...]

Cheeky ... and very successful;~).

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 13-01-2014, 10:22 AM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacha View Post

On 2014-01-12 05:37:32 +0000,
] said:

[...]

I looked at the pic and thought "Nah, that's not a begonia", so I googled "houseplant veins" and got Alocasia "Polly" - probably the same dozen pics as Sacha, but worked on the principle that it's best to stick to the genus and leave species and variety to someone who either knows more or the OP who has the advantage of knowing the actual plant he's asking about.
__________________
Old 13-01-2014, 10:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

sacha wrote:
: On 2014-01-12 05:37:32 +0000,

:
: http://www.mklab.rhul.ac.uk/~tom/foliage_ceramic1.jpg
: http://www.mklab.rhul.ac.uk/~tom/foliage_ceramic2.jpg
: http://www.mklab.rhul.ac.uk/~tom/foliage_ceramic3.jpg
:
[cut]

: Alocasia amazonica Polly. Something 'mask' is an additional name, I think.

Many thanks Sasha and everyone else who responded. That is certainly
it. I notice I had already made one mistake by watering it with tap
water. BTW It is a pleasure to still be able to get such good and
prompt advice on Usenet and not have to resort to web 2.0 or other
proprietary web based services.

Cheers
Tom.

Ps. The email address in the header is just a spam-trap.
--
Tom Crane, Dept. Physics, Royal Holloway, University of London, Egham Hill,
Egham, Surrey, TW20 0EX, England.
Email: T dot Crane at rhul dot ac dot uk

Help - Identify Houseplant Donna Coghill Gardening 2 09-03-2003 05:20 PM
Houseplant problems... John Doe Gardening 15 23-02-2003 04:15 AM
Houseplant problems... mmcpherson0563 Plant Biology 2 23-02-2003 04:03 AM
Houseplant advice JimM United Kingdom 5 03-02-2003 04:09 PM
How water ivy houseplant ~ rob ~ United Kingdom 1 07-12-2002 06:56 PM